Cause & Consequence
- Uncontrolled release of a flammable gas or liquid
Specific Incident Equipment
Actuated, 16” 300# trunnion mounted ball valve in 25Cr Super Duplex Stainless Steel. Trunnion fixed externally to ball valve body with capscrews. Plant Tag Number SDV-11379
- Installation specifications should take into account possible modes of failure and specify materials to mitigate the risk of occurrence
- An appropriate inspection technique/strategy should be in place which takes into account possible modes of failure during operation
- Undertake a review of asset valve populations to identify those valves potentially at risk from Chloride induced SCC considering valve; operating temperature; design and materials of construction; location and potential for chlorides environment.
- Replace trunnion cap screws of valves potentially at risk with cap screws not susceptible to Chloride induced stress corrosion cracking
- Review company material / valve specifications and revise as required to recognise failure mode and specify materials accordingly
- Develop and implement a Long Term Strategy for valve cap screw inspection and replacement
- Review and revise the asset ALE strategy based upon learning from this incident
Rate this alert
Latest Alerts & Moments
Our searchable catalogue of hundreds of Safety Alerts and Safety Moments are all designed as learning resources that can help improve workplace safety.