Cause & Consequence
- Not Assigned
Specialist vessel eg diving, construction, survey
Incident Info Source
Specific Incident Equipment
A capactiors in a harmonic filter
Operators of vessels with electronic propulsion which have large capacitors in harmonic filters, should urgently:
- Inspect the capacitors and check for any physical distortion, unusual smells ( indicating dielectric fluid leakage) and signs of external overheating.
- Ensure that the cooling and ventilation systems are functioning correctly.
- Caliberate and function test any fault detection or condition monitoring system fitted.
- Ensure that if there is a history of capacitors in the equipment needing to be replaced, the underlying causes are understood.
- Carry out a thorough check fir the cleanliness of all exposed conductors as well as for external signs of chaffing damage on high voltage cables.
Rate this alert
Latest Alerts & Moments
Our searchable catalogue of hundreds of Safety Alerts and Safety Moments are all designed as learning resources that can help improve workplace safety.