Cause & Consequence
- Uncontrolled release of a flammable gas or liquid
Specific Incident Equipment
Emergency shutdown valve
- The bleed port on the valve was found to be hand tight and two turns from seated. The valve body had been painted, including the bleed port, in this position.
- During factory testing by a 3rd party, the valve was successfully pressure tested in the open and closed positions so the above was not identified.
- During the remote opening of the valve the bleed port was subject to pressure and the gas escaped due to the bleed port being hand tight.
- Ensure valves are tested in all positions where valve integrity may be compromised to ensure that they have full integrity.