Description of Incident
A power outage occurred after maintenance activities on a safety instrumented system on an offshore oil & gas production facility that inadvertently initiated the highest-level emergency shutdown on the installation. The outage unexpectedly impacted a number of the facilities emergency response systems.
Good Practice Guidance
Consider, does the facility have:
- A functioning and properly maintained evacuation route emergency lighting system which is designed to operate during a loss of normal power and is resilient to executive actions (ESD or abandon platform shutdowns) to loss of containment events during emergency response;
- A functioning and properly maintained internal emergency communication system (e.g. by Public Address (PA) system) that operates during a loss of normal power and is resilient to executive actions (ESD or abandon platform shutdowns) to loss of containment events during emergency response;
- An emergency response plan which addresses the scenario of an unplanned complete loss of power and where operations personnel are trained to execute the plan;
- Written procedures that are practiced by operating personnel for safe re-start following an unplanned loss of normal and emergency power;
- Installed operations critical telecommunications (OCT) equipment which has been reviewed by a competent OCT engineering professional to confirm equipment and systems are fit for purpose for emergency support in accordance with international standards such as SOLAS;
- OCT equipment which is available and functioning on the facility in case of loss of both primary and emergency power;
- Inspection and testing plans of OCT and associated backup power equipment, including batteries and charging systems at facility which have been reviewed and confirmed against OEM maintenance requirements and recommendations.
Rate this highValueLearning
Latest Alerts & Moments
Our searchable catalogue of hundreds of Safety Alerts and Safety Moments are all designed as learning resources that can help improve workplace safety.