Cause & Consequence
- Uncontrolled release of a flammable gas or liquid
Specific Incident Equipment
Small bore tubing on NGL pumps
- Confined workspace has not been identified by site visits or considered as part of the work planning
- Small bore pipe work was unsupported, and awareness of potential for failure was lacking
- P&IDs did not reflect the actual build of the small bore pipe work
- Although pump was no longer required, cold NGL still passed through the equipment. Combined with a lack of maintenance this can contribute to seal failure.
- Install suitable support for the tubing
- Update P&IDs to accurately reflect the pipe work configuration
- Site briefings, work packs updated to improve awareness of confined area working and potential to damage small bore tubing
- Fully decommission & remove NGL pumps and pipe work, to replace with new pipe run from Cold separator to NGL heater.