Cause & Consequence
- Collapse, overturn or failure of lifting equipment
Any Location Type
Lifting, crane, rigging, deck operations
Crane being used in Lift From Supply Vessel (LFSV) mode.
Crane hydraulic pressure system decayed to zero when Framo tripped.
Framo system restored whilst in LFSV mode – brake released by design in this mode.
Combination of position of ELLS (Emergency load lowering system) flow control valve & inherent oil leakage within motor allowed winch motor to descend faster than expected.
- Evaluate and revise training, add assessment module and roll out to all Crane Operators.
- Create operating and emergency procedures. Incorporate suspended load exercises into HSSEQ plan
- Consider LFSV mode change to automatic.
- Hasten delivery of new crane Operating Manuals.
- Assess the close out effectiveness of Maersk engineering change procedure
- Carry out a reliability review of the Framo System.