Cause & Consequence
- Contact with something fixed or stationary
Incident Info Source
International Association of Drilling Contractors
Specific Incident Equipment
Pony Rod Cover
- A shortcut was taken by attempting to remove the cover with the pump still running. The pump should have been shut down, isolated, tested and then the cover safely removed.
- The Step Back 5 x 5 was not followed.
- It was suggested that all liner/pony rod covers be hinged along fluid end to permit them to be securely opened when safe access is needed.
- Instructed rig personnel to never put your hands close to moving parts or equipment, the IP was not aware of potential pinch points.
- Instructed rig personnel to never remove covers from moving parts while machinery is still in motion.
- Rig personnel were instructed to review and and understand company Energy Isolation standard.
- All personel were instructed to avoid taking short cuts there is always time to do the task safely.