- Change management
- Control of work
Description of Process
Use of angle grinder
Description of Incident
A contractor employee was modifying a road guardrail post using an angle grinder. While testing the grinder, a disc shattered and ejected fragments into his neck, resulting in a fatality.
What Went Wrong?
- Contractor fabricated the guardrail after adopting an incorrect installation method.
- Contractor employee was not trained in the proper use of the angle grinder.
- 9” angle grinder protection guard was removed in order to fit a 14” cutting wheel.
- Angle grinder was rated for a higher speed which exceeded the specification limits of the disc used.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) was not available on site.
Good Practice Guidance
- Do not modify working tools - this includes the removal of provided guards.
- Ensure the correct tool for the job is selected and operated in accordance with the manufacturer instructions.
- Ensure personnel are qualified to perform tasks and maintain proper communication amongst crews.
- Ensure the correct PPE for the job is identified and provided at site.
- Exercise your authority to stop the job.