Cause & Consequence
- Moving, flying or falling object
- Handling, lifting or carrying
- Moving machinery or material being machined
- Control of work
Description of Process
The riser assembly was being lifted by the rig floor tugger.
The riser became jammed due to alignment issues.
Description of Incident
The tugger operator attempted to lift the riser when the supervisor was holding the wire
The wire rotated rapidly, snagging the supervisor’s gloved hand
Good Practice Guidance
- Toolbox talk: the risks of the rotating wire hazard was not raised
- Normalisation of risk: the supervisor put himself in the line of fire
- Communication failure: a lift was attempted whilst the supervisor was in the line of fire
- No dynamic risk assessment: no-one stopped the job, even after two unsuccessful lifts
Rate this moment
Latest Alerts & Moments
Our searchable catalogue of hundreds of Safety Alerts and Safety Moments are all designed as learning resources that can help improve workplace safety.